The Lord is Near

19 degrees Fahrenheit, cold and bright. The winter chill has hushed the world. I can see the dogs’ breath as they bask in the sun outside the window. A mug of tea warms my coaster. In the kitchen, the split peas are soaking for soup. I am still. David is at a...

Bear With One Another: The Prince of Peace

When I was in college, my favorite professor recommended PeaceMeal, a free email subscription to relational wisdom from Peacemaker Ministries. You’re going to receive a lot of email every day, he said. This one is worth it.  I loved this professor because he...

He Takes and He Gives: Community, Part 2

Last week, I wrote about how I got bi-polar sick after tutoring at the local elementary school, and how the Lord used it to refocus my attention on Him. This week, he is quieting my heart again through what He takes and gives.  After a rocky start last Tuesday, my...

Community: Too Much of a Good Thing?

As I live with bipolar, it is difficult to find a balance. I am sensitive to small changes in routine and fluctuations in my body’s rhythms, such as sleep, eating, exercise and external stimulation like noise or human interaction. I love to be with people and I...